KONA FORUM
The Big Island Forum

Kona, Hawaii a Proud Supporter of KONAWEB!
To promote Your business, Click Here.
* Read Responses * Post a Response * Post a NEW Message * Return to the Forum *
* Previous Message * * Previous Response * * Next Message

Buy car in CA and my car shipping experience.

Posted by Robby R on Tuesday, 16 January 2018, at 10:00 a.m.
Send an Email to →

In response to 141668: Move vs Buy cars (yes, again ;-), posted by Lisa WB on Tuesday, 16 January 2018, at 7:31 a.m.

Aloha Lisa, I was just about to post the same question regarding buying a car in Southern California and shipping to BI vs buying on BI. Although, we are wanting a new basic truck such as a Ford F150. We have shippied our cars to/from BI a number of times. Here is some information and my advice.

Ship your Subaru a week ahead of your departure and rent a car to use in CA. When you arrive in HI you will have working vehicle for your use. If you decide to sell car on BI you will get a good price since Subaru's are in high demand- they are very good vehicles. If you can deliver the car to Oakland or Long beach yourself you will just pay Matson $1070. (Remember deliver with no personal items in car and 1/4 tank of gas). Insure and register in Hawaii within 10 days. Hawaii DMV will charge you $5 to issue new registration and title. New HI registration will be valid until it would have expired in CA.

If you buy a new car in CA before you leave you will need to hire an auto shipper to deliver the new vehicle to the Matson port for you so you can avoid paying the CA sales tax. The dealer can likely help you with this. You will have to pay the Hawai'i GET when you register the vehicle. You might go the HI DMV with the bill of sale before you pick up the vehicle to get some form of temporary registration. You might have to also show proof of insurance.

This still leaves us both with the same question about price benefit buying a new car in California and shipping vs on BI.

Responses:
•(There are no responses to this message.)

Respond to the Message Above:

Your Member Name:
Your Password:
If you have a paid link on KONAWEB, you may direct people to your link, in response to relevant posts.
Please remember the Forum are not to be used for advertising.

Subject:

The lewd, rude, and crude will be banished to Kaho'olawe. Read the Rules please!

* Having Trouble Posting? *      *Forum Rules*   *Forum Humor*

Advertise your business on KONAWEB!

KONAWEB HOME PAGE
Big Island Events Calendar
The Big Island Forum
Become a Forum Member
5390 Current Members
Visitors Per Day
Travel Info
Keauhou/Kailua Trolley Schedule
Map of the Big Island
Real Estate