KONA FORUM
The Big Island Forum

Kona, Hawaii a Proud Supporter of KONAWEB!
To promote Your business, Click Here.
* Read Responses * Post a Response * Post a NEW Message * Return to the Forum *
* Previous Message * * Previous Response * * Next Message

Highway 160

Posted by Kevin Z on Friday, 13 October 2017, at 3:14 a.m.
Send an Email to →

In response to 141394: Narrow roads in Napo'opo'o, posted by Henry W on Thursday, 12 October 2017, at 1:35 p.m.

Aloha, Henry.

The stretch of Route 160 you mention is, I believe, one of those rustic treasures you’d be hard-pressed to find anywhere else in the U.S. The only parallels I’m aware of may be the “Rustic Roads” that receive official designation and preservation in Wisconsin, and perhaps they are similarly preserved elsewhere. I’m almost certain that this stretch of 160 began as part of the Ala Kahakai trail, a historic trail used to circumnavigate the island that pre-dates western contact. Portions of the original trail are abundant on the Island; other parts have been somewhat improved. The 1871 trail in Pu’uhonua o Honaunau Nat. Park is actually a section of the original trail that was improved to accommodate horse-drawn technology.

Given the type of use you mentioned...access to the transfer station and the like...one may find it inadequate and in need of attention. Maybe it begs improvement, but as it represents a bit of rapidly-disappearing “old Hawai’i” along with the pace of change given most publicly-funded projects on the Island I wouldn’t expect it to be transformed anytime soon.

Responses:
•(There are no responses to this message.)

Respond to the Message Above:

Your Member Name:
Your Password:
If you have a paid link on KONAWEB, you may direct people to your link, in response to relevant posts.
Please remember the Forum are not to be used for advertising.

Subject:

♥ Thank you for posting on the KONAWEB Forum! -Konabob and Shirley

* Having Trouble Posting? *      *Forum Rules*   *Forum Humor*

Advertise your business on KONAWEB!

KONAWEB HOME PAGE
Big Island Events Calendar
The Big Island Forum
Become a Forum Member
5418 Current Members
Visitors Per Day
Travel Info
Keauhou/Kailua Trolley Schedule