KONA FORUM
The Big Island Forum

Kona, Hawaii a Proud Supporter of KONAWEB!
To promote Your business, Click Here.
* Read Responses * Post a Response * Post a NEW Message * Return to the Forum *
* Previous Message * * Next Message

Lālākea Loko I‘a (fishpond) Restoration Event, Waipi'o

Posted by Jeff A1 on Monday, 13 March 2017, at 2:02 p.m.
Send an Email to →

"...make the Valley whole once again"
Lālākea Loko I‘a Reactivation in Na Wahi Pana O Waipi‘o

Almost 71 years ago to the day, efforts will officially begin, to reactivate Lālākea Loko I‘a (fishpond) in Waipi‘o Valley that was devastated by the 1946 Tsunami that struck the Hawai‘ian Islands.

April 7, 2017, 8 a.m., Waipi‘o Valley Lookout and Valley, Hawai‘i - The Lālākea Loko Wai Hui, the Honokaa community, and members of the Kua’aina Ulu ‘Auamo (KUA, a statewide network of Hawai‘ian fishpond care practitioners) will gather at the lookout for welcome protocols. They will then descend to the Valley floor to gather once again at the punawai (spring) of Lālākea fishpond. At the spring, KUA members will add a rock from their Loko I‘a to a kuahu built to commemorate the ponds rebirth.

It was early morning, around 7 a.m., April Fools Day 1946, when one of the worst tsunamis ever to strike the Hawai‘ian Islands, also invaded the quiet, peaceful Waipi‘o Valley on the Hamakua Coast of the Big Island, Hawai‘i. Hilo and Laupahoehoe were hardest hit. A total of 159 people were killed island-wide. The tsunami also devastated the Lālākea Loko I‘a fishpond (along with a few others on Maui and Oahu) that had been used by the people of Waipi‘o for centuries.
It is a traditional Hawai‘ian fishpond, with a punawai spring fed pond, a loko i‘a kalo (Taro section) primarily fed by the Wailoa river and a loko puuone section which ebbs and flows with the ocean tide. It is primarily a brackish water pond for salt water fish. Valley residents enjoyed the rich agricultural yield from the valley floor; taro, lotus root, and rice, while the fishpond provided a stable and constant abundance of fish. After the tsunami, the main pond was totally neglected and currently is overgrown with Egyptian reeds. When it was operational, it was completely walled and sub-divided into three distinct sections represented by the six types of Hawai‘ian fishponds. The re-activation of the fishpond is already underway, with plans to rebuild the paths and wall sections still in disarray since the 1946 tsunami.

The spearhead & leader of the group's restoration efforts, Kenrock Higa said, "It is with great anticipation that our family and network of dear friends are dedicating themselves to restore the precious waiwai (wealth) of Waipi‘o." Higa continued, "The Hamakua community cordially invites all people who share a love for na wahi pana o Waipi‘o e Lālākea Loko I‘a to join with us for the reactivation ceremony at the fishpond."

"Waipi‘o Valley was once the ancient capital of Hawai‘i Island and remains today as one of the last defined ahapuaa. The waiwai of an ahapuaa is its precious water. Lālākea was so prized in antiquity that many battles raged around it and several invaders tried to destroy the pond because of their disdain for the Waipi‘o based Chiefs. It is our good fortune to observe the waiwai of Lālākea continue to give life. Therefore, we are dedicating ourselves to the reactivation of the fishpond. It is my firm belief that the fishpond's reactivation is the key to healing Waipi‘o Valley and will make the valley whole once again," Higa said. "The task ahead is challenging, however, through aloha, the reactivation of Lālākea Loko I‘a will be achieved. Please join us in this worthy cause," he concluded.

Higa said he is returning to the source of his Hawai‘ian heritage because he feels a strong attraction "to my ancestors,"..."I feel my ancestors would be happy" about the restoration of the fishpond. "I feel like I'm going home," he said.

Kenrock K. S. Higa is a LT. COLONEL, USA, Retired. He currently lives on Oahu with his wife and 'ohana. In the months ahead, he will be moving to the Island of Hawai'i to focus on the restoration effort.

Kenrock Higa
808 839-9766
808 393-5463
lenineshiga-at-yahoo.com, or,

Jeff Alexander
6505 620-7725
jalexanderone-at-gmail.com

Responses:
•(There are no responses to this message.)

Respond to the Message Above:

Your Member Name:
Your Password:
If you have a paid link on KONAWEB, you may direct people to your link, in response to relevant posts.
Please remember the Forum are not to be used for advertising.

Subject:

Check your calendar! KONAWEB Parties are on the first Tuesday of every month!

* Having Trouble Posting? *      *Forum Rules*   *Forum Humor*

Advertise your business on KONAWEB!

KONAWEB HOME PAGE
Big Island Events Calendar
The Big Island Forum
Become a Forum Member
5459 Current Members
Visitors Per Day
Travel Info
Keauhou/Kailua Trolley Schedule
Map of the Big Island
Real Estate