KONA FORUM
The Big Island Forum

Big Island a Proud Supporter of KONAWEB!
To promote Your business, Click Here.
* Read Responses * Post a Response * Post a NEW Message * Return to the Forum *
* Previous Message * * Next Response * * Next Message

Kekaha Kai State Park

Posted by Jay S2 on Tuesday, 28 February 2017, at 3:53 p.m.
Send an Email to →

Aloha all,

We'll be arriving in a few days and are very (very) excited! One thing I'm looking forward to is shooting in local and state parks.

I noticed on a Kona Coast park sign that the hours are 9pm-7am. Much of my photography revolves around sunrise and sunset. For instance, sunset will be around 6:30, which means the blue hour kicks in around 6:45, and night time won't officially start until 7:45. These times just before and just after sunset are critical for capturing unique photos. :)

Unfortunately, many locations take time to hike to -- for example, Mak beach. I'm looking at a map and see I'll probably have to hike about 20 mins or so to Mak beach from where I plan to park. If I shoot past sunset or even up until nautical twilight (6:50 or so), I wouldn't have nearly enough time to make it back before the park closes.

How strict are park times and how closely are they enforced? With sunset around 6:40am, I'm technically not even allowed in the park for another 2.5 hours!

At least here in my hometown, I've never been given trouble by the county sheriff for being in a county park prior to sunset (for the one county park I usually shoot, the times are listed as sunrise to dusk). I have been asked to wrap things up once, but this was well after sunset and the deputy was super nice.

Sooooo... I know the only answer I can rely on is 'read the sign' -- 9am-7pm. But I'm really hoping I can grab some sunset shots/astrophotography shots from Mak beach, and I can't see any way of doing it other than disregarding the park hours. I definitely want to respect the local law and customs, so it looks like some of my sunset/night time plans in designated state/county areas may be limited.

Any input/advice? Mahalo and thanks in advance!

Responses:
   Δ Don't tempt fate at Kekaha Kai!
    Kevin Z -- Tuesday, 28 February 2017, at 4:41 p.m.
   Δ great tips Kevin, THANKS!
    Jay S2 -- Tuesday, 28 February 2017, at 4:55 p.m.
   Δ Darks skies plus beach options...
    Kevin Z -- Wednesday, 1 March 2017, at 3:20 a.m.
   Δ Great opportunities at the Volcano after dark
    Chris M5 -- Wednesday, 1 March 2017, at 9:08 a.m.
   Δ Link that works.....
    Chris M5 -- Wednesday, 1 March 2017, at 9:11 a.m.

Respond to the Message Above:

Your Member Name:
Your Password:
If you have a paid link on KONAWEB, you may direct people to your link, in response to relevant posts.
Please remember the Forum are not to be used for advertising.

Subject:

Where can I post political opinions? Here!

* Having Trouble Posting? *      *Forum Rules*   *Forum Humor*

Advertise your business on KONAWEB!

KONAWEB HOME PAGE
Big Island Events Calendar
The Big Island Forum
Become a Forum Member
5461 Current Members
Visitors Per Day
Travel Info
Keauhou/Kailua Trolley Schedule
Map of the Big Island
Real Estate