KONA FORUM
The Big Island Forum

Kona, Hawaii a Proud Supporter of KONAWEB!
To promote Your business, Click Here.
* Read Responses * Post a Response * Post a NEW Message * Return to the Forum *
* Previous Message * * Previous Response * * Next Response * * Next Message

Costs

Posted by Mark S2 on Sunday, 19 February 2017, at 8:06 p.m.
Send an Email to →

In response to 140599: Housing is Expensive in Kona, posted by Mark T2 on Sunday, 19 February 2017, at 3:38 p.m.

Yes, you are correct, I failed to mention the initial cost. In 2002 I paid $145,000 for my farm with yearly payments as mentioned. My friend just bought a 5 acre leasehold farm (with coffee already on it) for $220,000. He will pay similar costs per year for property taxes and leasehold fees.

The lessor does not tell you what to plant, however you must keep it in agriculture and make money off the land.

We buy the house and what is above ground and the lessor owns the land. You usually take over an existing lease and at some point, it can be renewed for another 30 or 35 years.

People who were ejected from a leasehold (at least the kind I have) had to be really trying to have that happen. As long as you keep the property clan and in agriculture, it is fine. What you are probably hearing is that someone owned a lease and didn't have any crops, didn't want to do anything but live there and then ignored the lessors many requests that they clean up the property and start farming. You can't really blame the lessor in these cases. Too many people feel they have a right to do as they please and ignore the legal documents they signed and agreed to.

As for the solar system, I bought 20 panels of 100 watts each with inverters, etc for $3,100.

Responses:
   Δ Farming in Hawaii is Not Easy or Cheap
    Mark T2 -- Monday, 20 February 2017, at 1:20 p.m.

Respond to the Message Above:

Your Member Name:
Your Password:
If you have a paid link on KONAWEB, you may direct people to your link, in response to relevant posts.
Please remember the Forum are not to be used for advertising.

Subject:

Have you changed your email address lately? Update your KONAWEB Membership!

* Having Trouble Posting? *      *Forum Rules*   *Forum Humor*

Advertise your business on KONAWEB!

KONAWEB HOME PAGE
Big Island Events Calendar
The Big Island Forum
Become a Forum Member
5461 Current Members
Visitors Per Day
Travel Info
Keauhou/Kailua Trolley Schedule
Map of the Big Island
Real Estate